Saturday, January 4, 2020

Happy Little Stamper's January Christmas Challenge

It is time for the first Christmas challenge for 2020 at Happy Little Stamper's.  We need to start working on our Christmas cards to send next December so we are ready and not stressing out.  Our monthly challenge will help you meet this goal.

The challenge as always is Anything Goes with the optional twist of Trim the Tree.  I did not go with the Trim the Tree option.

I was inspired by one of Kristine Werner's cards from her Holiday Card Series for 2019.  On Day 4 she created a card using metallic watercolors on black watercolor paper.  

I did not have the metallic watercolors she was using and I did not have black watercolor paper.  I did have Twinkling H2O's (from way back when) and some heavy black card stock.  I thought what the heck - I will try that and it worked.  The paper was a little warped but some heavy books helped take care of that.  I used a color palette of blues and greens.  I die cut lots of snowflakes.

I used a rectangle die cut to cut my color base for the card.  I matted the panel with black.  I glued the snowflakes to the front of the card with Gina K Connect Glue (my favorite glue).  I heat embossed the sentiment on the black card stock.  Some little gems were added to the front of the card also.



This is another card I made using black card stock colored with the Twinkling H2O's.  I heat embossed the ornaments and die cut them.  I would just draw in the hangers or mount the ornaments with foam tape.  (I have been trying to make flatter cards.)

I would love to try some different color combinations and maybe even buy some black watercolor paper.  I should have asked Santa to bring me some.


Please join us at Happy Little Stamper's for our January Christmas Challenge

4 comments:

Inkyfingers said...

This technique turned out beautifully, Barb and it somehow makes the snowflakes brighter! It works so well as a background but I equally love the baubles you cut from it. I too have some long-neglected H2Os in my stash and you have tempted me to pull them out again.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas and that 2020 brings you all that you wish for.
Hugs
Carol xxx

laurie said...

How beautiful! I love the soft snowflakes!

Bobby said...

I saw Kristina's card too, Barb, and bought black watercolor paper right away. So far I haven't had a chance to use it but you did a great job and have inspired me. I had thumb surgery in November and haven't been able to craft since then. I'm hoping that watercoloring won't affect me too much and I can give it a try.

Sue - said...

Two fabulous cards. Must get my h2os hour again!