Saturday, September 1, 2018

Let's Try a Color Challenge

I look at color challenges and I really think they are hard.  I am trying to grow my skills as a card maker so I need to try things that are outside my comfort zone.  This is outside my comfort zone but I did make a card I like.

It is either going to be a birthday card for one of my birthdays for the remainder of this year or it is going to be a "celebrate" card because I was told there may be an upcoming proposal in someone's future.  If so, I am ready.

The color challenge is from The Color Throwdown.  Interesting combination of colors but I guess that is what makes it a challenge.


My first step for this card was to add some interest to my background paper for my stamped image and also my card base.  I use my distress oxide inks, water and do lots of smooshing.  This is a favorite technique I use on many cards.

The image I used is a new stamp I bought at JoAnn Fabrics.  It is a wood mounted stamp but I just pull them off the wood and use inside my Misti.  I stamped with Black Onyx VersaFine Ink and heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  The image was colored with inks and some markers I had.

The purple is recycled card stock from graduation ceremony bulletins.  I think I am getting to the end of the purple card stock.  I was very happy when they changed to white.  I have boxes of that left to use.  I cut a mat for my base, a mat for my circle die cut image and I cut three layers of the Celebrate from the piece I had.  It is perfect because it was the perfect purple for the card.

I used glossy accents on the yellow flowers so they shine in real life.

For the final touch I decided I had to add a bow. I have not used a bow on a card in forever but I thought "celebrate" needed something extra.


Here is a close up of the floral image.


I am also entering this card into the challenge at Just Us Girls.  Their current challenge is the word Celebrate.  I think I have that covered with this card.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: