Friday, September 7, 2012

Simon Says Read All About It



Last week end I happened upon the blog hop at Simon Says Stamp and Show - the challenge is "Read All About It" - the hop was very inspiring to me - so many had got out their paints, their books, and assorted fun stuff and created.  It made me want to revisit that part of my creativity - I don't do this too often - but I do enjoy it - maybe I need to do more - I would layer paints on the watercolor paper before I went to work in the morning and inevitably - I had paint somewhere on my body or even my clothes.

I cut a couple pieces of watercolor paper for card fronts.  I found my dictionary that I use for card making (my part of read all about it) - adhered a layer of that to my watercolor paper, gessoed it, and then started dry brushing on layers of acrylic paint - orange, pink, green, yellow - I don't know what else.  After this was all dry - I then got out some background type stamps and first stamped with white and then added some other colors on top.  Here it is in a little more detail.  (the sun is very subtle in the corner on both cards)


Card one uses a Hero Arts Stamp and a SRM Sticker for the sentiment.  The border is 3/4 inch strips of the dictionary page adhered together and then just folded and added to the front of the card - I then smeared green paint over the top with my finger tip.  I used some black twine to finish off the card.

The second card uses a Hampton Art stamp.  I got a little hasty so the ink smeared - so to save the background - I stamped the flower three times on a dictionary page and fussy cut each part of the flower.  I actually used Stickles on the 2nd layer of the card.  The center of the flower has Glossy Accents on top.  This sentiment sticker is from Doodle Bug Designs.  Once again I added the strip of painted folded dictionary paper.

I am torn (excuse the pun) (in case you did not understand the pun - I tore the paper) - do you think I should add bows to the twine or ribbon.  I don't want the bow to distract from the artsy fartsy part of the card.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Terry said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous and classy cards with the DT from the Bloghop from Simon Says Stamp and Show, love your classy cards, fabulously made. The background is great too fabulous colors, thank you for sharing. Hugs Terry xxxx

Dolores Raml said...

Really cute cards, love how your background turned out along with that painted ruffle. I don't think you need a bow at all.

Yvonne B. said...

Barb, I like how your pages/backgrounds turned out! Great work! That kind of playing can be so fun.