Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Wanderlust 2021 - Week 1

 I decided to embark on the year long mixed media journey called Wanderlust.  Every Friday we have a new video for inspiration and we  then can take what we have learned into our journals.  

The first week was taught by Kasia Avery.  She is also the founder of Wanderlust.

I am using a small Dyan Reaveley journal for my journal.

The first thing I did in prepping my journal was to take a roll of  wide white washi tape and taped the center seams of  all the pages.  This will help whatever medium you are using from leaking through to another page - or at least it will help eliminate some of the seepage.

I first added a light layer of gesso to my two pages.  I wrote with a black Dina Wakely scribble stick my thoughts on 2020 on one page and on the other page my hopes for 2021.  I then used a wet brush and muddled what I wrote.  I applied another coat of light gesso.


I then added pieces of tissue paper, music sheets, patterned paper, etc on my page.  I used a glue stick to stick it down and then added gel medium over the top to seal it in place.  


I added another layer of light gesso.


I added some stenciling with Dina Wakely midnight acrylic paint.  After that I used lemon, turquoise and magenta to add color on the page.  I made the yellow dots by just putting the end of the tube of paint on the page and pressing down.  You will see in the final picture that I added another two rows of yellow dots on the bottom of the left page.


I cut out an image from a clothing magazine and created my sentiment on the computer.  The sentiment was inspired by a quote I saw on a video by Karen Burchill which said:  Inhale the future; exhale the past.  I changed it to reflect my theme and hope for 2021.  I added white gesso around the image to make it stand out a little more from the background.  


I took a blue stablio pencil and colored around my sentiment and a damp brush smoothed out the color.  I decided to use the same pencil around the outside border of the page.  This is when I decided I needed to add another row of yellow dots.  I then scribbled around all the dots or circles on my pages.


Here is a close up of the sentiment.


It felt good to get messy and painty.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: