Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Twofer Challenge - June 2019

I love to play along with the monthly challenge at Twofer.  In this challenge you need to use the same stamp or die on two different types of cards.  I enjoy having to think a little outside my normal way of creating and trying to stretch my supplies.


When I saw this month's challenge, I did a chappy dance.  Bees are one of my favorite elements to create with.  We are a multi generation family with four amazing women with the middle name of Bea.  The first amazing woman - who started this tradition was my mother - Molly Beatrice - but she always went by Bea.  The second amazing woman is my sister - Bonnie Bea.  The third amazing woman (one of my very favorites) is my daughter Carrie Bea and the fourth one is the amazing Elaina Bea who is my great niece - the granddaughter of Bonnie Bea.  This is my story and I am sticking with it.


Here are my two cards.  One is a birthday card and the other is just a general "bee" card.  The bee stamps are from Pink and Main.  They are such happy little bees.


This card will go to Elaina Bea.  She is a sophomore in college and will be studying abroad this fall when Scotland for a semester.  I will try to send her a few cards while she is there to cheer her on her adventure and let her know she is loved.

The background was made by squishing the paper in oxide ink to add some color to a white piece of card stock.  The bees were stamped on Bristol Smooth card stock and colored with Zig markers (this was my coloring for Day 1 of the 30 day coloring challenge)  I used the coordinating dies to cut out the bees.  I positioned the bees where they would be located and laid the trail stamp down, stamped and heat embossed.  The sentiment was also heat embossed.

I added three different washi tapes at the bottom of the card stock.  I had forgotten I had that cute bee washi tape so of course I had to use it.  I think Elaina will smile when she receives it.  I did try to keep it fairly flat for mailing overseas.


This card will be for my daughter Carrie's birthday in September. I hope I don't put it in a really safe place where it will not be found.  I colored the card front with watered down Dina Wakely acylic paint.  I love the color of this pink.  I smooshed the color onto the card front.  I cut the black circle to outline my window.  I die cut a circle in the front of the card.  I glued the black die around the circle.  I glued "Mr. Upside Down Bee" on the back of the circle peeking through the window.  I then put a piece of acetate over the opening (we are making a shaker card).  I then glued the other bee on and added the Happy die cut.  The sentiment was heat embossed on a strip of black card stock.

I added a double layer of foam tape around the window and then filled up the back of the card front with a double layer of foam tape.  I then carefully piled shaker stuff where the circle was located.  I do wish I had had some yellow beads or sequins).  I then carefully placed the front on the card base.

Whew I got it on there straight and I love it.  Carrie will think it is cool and her husband will try to figure out how did she do that.


I am also entering one of these cards in the current challenge at The Sisterhood of Crafters where the current challenge is Three B's (birds, bees or butterflies.)  I hit the bees right on the head.

Thanks Twofer for making me think about these amazing women and make cards for two of them.

Simon Says Stamp kit of the month had bees in it - guess who had to order it.

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

Darnell said...

Thank you for the fabulous bee designs and the great story of all the BEAS in your family, Barb! What a wonderful tradition! I love both designs and that happy happy bee you used! I'm sure that both your Beas will love their happy mail and cherish their cards! Love the Washi tape on your first card (now I must have a look at my huge collection!) and the bright pink background and fun shaker element of your second design! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #17! Hugs, Darnell

Darlene said...

OMG both cards are just ADORABLE !! GREAT job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

Anita in France said...

What a great post, Barb, with the story of all your family Beas! That little bee is adorable on both your cards ... so sweet and fun to have one hanging upside down in the shaker element on the birthday card! Who couldn't bee happy with those buzzy bees on your encouragement card ... especially with their friends the washi tape bees! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Katy McGloin said...

Both cards are so "bee-lightful"! A fun shaker card, too! Thanks so much for sharing with the Sisterhood of Crafters "3B" challenge this week. Love seeing you in our gallery!

Kara Lynne said...

I loved hearing about your family's Bea legacy! Sounds like some amazing ladies. I studied abroad in Scotland in college with the Wisconsin in Scotland program. I loved it! That was almost 30 years ago now. Your bee card will bring her much happiness while she is away, especially with such cute, smiling bees, and that adorable washi tape! Your birthday card is so fun with the vibrant pink paint and the bees head poking out of the shaker! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!