Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Good Sunday morning - Daylight Savings Time is upon us - I have been up and already accomplished so much - want to take bets on when I crash. Yesterday I started making chicken broth for Thanksgiving dinner - I have two containers frozen and one pot on the stove cooking. I also made ham broth - took some of it out and I am going to make a soup of some kind today - I think Lentil. I also have all the chicken meat from making broth. I do believe there are some enchiladas that are going to be made also, save some for Chicken Wild Rice Soup, and I have a recipe for chili made with chicken and pumkin - hmmmmm - I wonder what that will be like. I think I may have to feed some people at work this week.

My friend Ivanka pointed me in the direction of a new challenge blog. It is a CASE study blog - they show you a card and then you case it. I like that idea - it can be the design, a design element on the card or the color that you CASE. I chose the design for my card. I need to get busy on my Christmas cards. Last night I even finished the inside of the card. It has a glittering snowflake in the middle also.

Another great thing happening today is that JoAnn Fabrics Craft for a Cause voting starts today - Operation Write Home is one of the 3 finalist - we would like to ask you to assist us in winning - all the money won will be used for postage - postage for mailing packages of cards overseas to our Heroes. If you don't know anything about Operation Write Home, please go read about them - also make some cards - a great way to use some of your extra supplies up - so of course - then we can go shopping some more. One vote per day per e mail. This is your link for voting.

I thought I would share my recipe for my wild rice soup. A co worker gave me the recipe - it is nice because the recipe does not make a batch that you would have to eat for weeks - two of us got two meals out of it.

Creamy Wild Rice Soup
4 cups water
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup uncooked wild rice
3 Tbl chopped green onion ¼ cup shredded carrot
3 Tbl chopped pecans 6 TBL butter or margarine
1/3 cup flour 2 cans (14-1/2 oz each) chicken broth
½ cup diced fully cooked ham or chicken ¼ tsp pepper
1 cup half-and-half cream (the fat free kind works well)

In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat;
cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.

In a soup kettle or dutch oven, saute the onions, carrot and pecans in butter for
1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook
and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and
wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.

Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil). 8 servings

Happy cardmaking, crafting, voting and cooking.

Card Details
Size: 4.25 x 5.5
Patterned Paper: Die Cuts With a View
Stamp: Stampendous
Embossing Powder: Seafoam White by Ranger
Sticker: SRM Stickers
Folk Art Acrylic Paint dry brushed on edges
Snowflake: Michael's foam embellishments
Brad: Hobby Lobby
Stickles

4 comments:

Ivanka said...

What a beautiful card Barb and a great CASE of the origional! Thanks for the soup recipe too, it looks so good. And I voted!! Hope that when you crash, it won't be into your stash of paper!
Have a great day!

Miss Adri said...

Your card came out absolutely beautiful! And thank you for introducing me to Case Study. I am now following the Case Study blog and intend to make a few cards using the design :o)

-Adri
www.macheriecreations.com

Heather P. said...

This is so pretty!!

Andrea Ewen said...

Wonderfully wintry card! Love the distressed edges and those fab snowflakes! Thanks for playing along with us this week at CASE Study challenges!